Streaming / video on demand
J. S. Bach foundation
Streaming from a VoD platform to supplement the DVD
The J. S. Bach foundation has set itself a big mission: to perform all the vocal works of Johann Sebastian Bach and to film the performances in order to provide posterity with a better understanding of the great composer. It is also being financed through the sale of the recordings on DVD. Until September 2015. Then the J.S. Bach-Foundation went online with its VoD platform.
J. S. Bach foundation VoD platform
Each month the foundation performs a J. S. Bach cantata in the church of Trogen (Appenzell Ausserrhoden). These concerts are filmed and then made available to the public in the form of a good quality DVD for enjoying at home. However, mailing DVDs all over the world is a complicated and laborious task. The J. S. Bach foundation therefore needed to find a new distribution method.
- The aim of the foundation is to promote cultural life through the vocal works of J. S. Bach.
- To this end it arranges cantata recitals and promotes the work of J. S. Bach.
- The recordings of the concerts (DVDs and CDs) are sold internationally by mail order.
- The foundation has a large fanbase on Facebook, with over 292’000 fans.
- The preview cantata videos on YouTube have been watched over 2.85 million times.
- A large portion of the fans live elsewhere in the world (Latin America especially) and therefore face relatively high shipping and customs charges as well as long delivery times.
- The commercial terms for collaborating with platforms such as iTunes and Spotify are less than ideal and focus too strongly on audio without video.
- The concerts are held in the tiny Appenzell village of Trogen and fans all over the world get to appreciate the movies and the foundation's work.
- To facilitate access to the works of J. S. Bach and to expand the basis for their distribution (e.g. by converting part of the mail order business into a digital one).
- To set up a full video portal so that J. S. Bach fans can stream content immediately via the Internet after making payment.
- A quick and user-friendly interface.
SOLUTION / PLAN
The J. S. Bach foundation project presented an exciting challenge. SWISS TXT managed the close collaboration between all involved and was responsible for the following tasks:
- Recording all the wishes and requirements in detail.
- Designing the user experience for web and tablet.
- Designing the technical aspects of the platform.
- Providing the hosting infrastructure.
- Integrating the content management, shopping and streaming components.
- Migrating all the content and training the customer.
- Testing and launching the solution.
- Thanks to streaming and the Internet, fans can access the content more cheaply and quickly than previously by mail order.
- The foundation can distribute the works to a broad audience, and thereby fulfil its mission better while reaching new customer segments.
The community is very grateful!” Anneliese Looser
Manager of the J.S. Bach-Foundation's distribution company
Your contact personHead of Content Solutions
- T +41 32 329 21 21