Infrastructure as a Service (IaaS)
Cloud infrastructure (IaaS) for multimedia applications
The Swiss Media Cloud is an 'infrastructure as a service' (IaaS) platform that enables customers to run their applications efficiently, manage multimedia content and reach end users through a variety of digital vectors.
Swiss Media Cloud
- The classic IT infrastructure is increasingly unable to keep up with the needs of the latest generation of multimedia applications.
- A shift from isolated solutions to a cloud solution to centralize and professionalize services.
- The existing solutions were too expensive for the client. Costs should refer only to the volume actually used.
OBJECTIVES / REQUIREMENTS
- To shift from a physical infrastructure to a cloud infrastructure that is distributed across multiple locations.
- To be able to make changes and add services quickly and flexibly.
- An alternative to maintaining an internal IT infrastructure.
- Personal, client-oriented support 24 hours a day, seven days a week, where users have direct contact with engineers with new media expertise.
- Location transparency. All the data and computer centres are located in Switzerland and subject to Swiss law exclusively.
- A highly-available infrastructure in two data centres located directly at Internet peering points. A top quality service for end users thanks to low latency. Distribution via Swiss computer centres.
- An automated infrastructure for high quality and efficient operation.
- A state of the art network, computing and storage infrastructure for all media use cases (online, nearline, archiving) supported by multiple redundant content delivery infrastructures (CDN).
- A scalable, flexible cloud platform for multimedia applications.
- Transparent usage reporting: Charges based on actual usage.
- The client has control over the infrastructure (self-service and automation) for greater independence and agility.
SOLUTION / FEATURES
- Self-service portal (for computing, backup, storage and network services).
- The client can select the computer centre. A computer centre can be allocated for each virtual server.
- Multi-client capability, demarcation and isolation of the various client environments. Meets the highest security requirements.
- Client-oriented service management processes (incident, problem and change processes) as well as short intervention times for service adjustments.
- Superb disaster tolerance, excellent cost efficiency, high scalability, high bandwidths for online content delivery, as well as high levels of standardization, agility and flexibility.
- The technology also distinguishes clearly between the hardware layer, cloud orchestration and the frontend layer.
- The infrastructure can be automated using an open API (DevOps, continuous deployment and integration).
- Servers (CPU, RAM, hard drive) can be prepared and scaled within minutes at the push of a button.
- Local and global load balancing (between two computer centres) for load distribution and maximum availability.
- A variety of storage levels – from high-performance storage with a short latency (SSD) to cost-effective nearline storage for multimedia archives.
- Integration with configuration management tools (Puppet, Ansible) for a full automated infrastructure.
- The infrastructure is agile and programmable, and can be scaled in seconds to respond to changes quickly.
- Identical test, integration and production environments can be mirrored easily.
- Pay-as-you-go system: save time and money.
- No need to operate an in-house IT infrastructure.
- Automation and self-service for independence and agility.
2'000 virtual machines
8.8 PB media storage
1.5 PB of data distributed each month
73 EST hosts with a total of 17 TB RAM
Your contact personService & Sales Manager
- T +41 32 329 21 72